SAD NEWS 😢 Nicola Pietrangeli, Italy’s tennis legend and the country’s first-ever Grand Slam champion, has passed away at the age of 92 for a truly heartbreaking reason. Full details below

The evening of November 28 began like any other for Nicola Pietrangeli. Alone in his Roman apartment overlooking the Tiber, he poured a small glass of red wine, settled into the worn leather armchair that had traveled with him since the 1960s, and turned on the television.

The screen lit up with grainy footage of his 1960 French Open final against Luis Ayala. He smiled at his younger self sliding across the clay, still elegant, still hungry. Ten minutes later the remote slipped from his hand. His head tilted forward.

The wine glass tipped and stained the carpet the same deep red as the courts he once ruled.

Neighbors heard nothing until the next morning when his housekeeper arrived and found the legend motionless. Paramedics performed CPR in the hallway while portraits of Davis Cup triumphs stared down from the walls. They managed to restart his heart, but the damage was catastrophic.

A massive hemorrhagic stroke had torn through the left side of his brain. Doctors at Gemelli Hospital gave the family the cruelest possible news: even if he survived, Nicola would never speak, walk, or recognize anyone again.

For three days the clinic became a place of pilgrimage. Adriano Panatta, now 75 himself, sat by the bed holding the same hand that once gripped wooden rackets. Young stars flew in from tournaments around the world.

Jannik Sinner arrived straight from Turin wearing the same expression he has when facing championship point. Matteo Berrettini wept openly in the corridor.

Even non-tennis figures came: politicians who grew up idolizing him, actors who quoted his famous one-liners, ordinary Romans who simply wanted to say goodbye to the man who made their country believe it belonged among the giants.

The family faced an impossible choice. Machines breathed for him. Tubes fed him. Monitors counted heartbeats that no longer carried consciousness.

His daughter Laura, voice breaking, recalled how her father always said he never wanted to be “a vegetable on display.” On the fourth morning, surrounded by grandchildren reciting the scores of his greatest victories, they told the doctors to stop.

The room fell quiet except for the slowing beep of the heart monitor. At 6:17 p.m. the line went flat. Nicola Pietrangeli, who spent a lifetime refusing to lose points, finally surrendered the match no champion can win.

News spread faster than any serve he ever struck. Within minutes every major court in Italy lowered its net in respect. Roland Garros turned off its floodlights for the first time since the war. Wimbledon’s Centre Court scoreboard displayed only his name and the years 1933–2025.

In Tunisia, where he was born, flags flew at half-mast outside the club where a barefoot boy first picked up a racket ninety years earlier.

His funeral will take place at the Foro Italico, beneath the marble statues he used to mock for being “too serious.” The coffin will be carried by eight Davis Cup heroes: Panatta, Berrettini, Sinner, Fognini, and four others who grew up on stories of the man they now carry.

The Italian Open will dedicate its new center court to him next May, renaming it Pietrangeli Stadium forever. Children who never saw him play will learn to slide on red clay because a sign tells them that is where the king once walked.

Tonight in Rome, old men gather in bars and speak of him in the present tense. They remember the white headband, the sleeveless shirts that scandalized the 1950s, the way he blew kisses to the crowd after every impossible winner.

They remember a time when Italy was not expected to win anything, yet one elegant Roman with fire in his eyes decided the world had been wrong.

Somewhere above the eternal city, a familiar voice is probably already complaining about the slow courts in heaven and demanding a tie-break in the third set of eternity. Nicola Pietrangeli has left the building, but his footprints will stay pressed into clay courts forever. The king is dead.

Long live the king.

His funeral will take place at the Foro Italico, beneath the marble statues he used to mock for being “too serious.” The coffin will be carried by eight Davis Cup heroes: Panatta, Berrettini, Sinner, Fognini, and four others who grew up on stories of the man they now carry.

The Italian Open will dedicate its new center court to him next May, renaming it Pietrangeli Stadium forever. Children who never saw him play will learn to slide on red clay because a sign tells them that is where the king once walked.

Tonight in Rome, old men gather in bars and speak of him in the present tense. They remember the white headband, the sleeveless shirts that scandalized the 1950s, the way he blew kisses to the crowd after every impossible winner.

They remember a time when Italy was not expected to win anything, yet one elegant Roman with fire in his eyes decided the world had been wrong.

Long live the king.

Related articles

La carta abierta de Rosa Álvarez, presidenta de la Asociación de Víctimas de la DANA 29-O, dirigida a Alberto Núñez Feijóo, ha sacudido conciencias. No es un texto político, sino un grito de dignidad desde el dolor. Habla de abandono, de silencios injustificables y de una responsabilidad moral que no prescribe. Sus palabras interpelan directamente al líder del PP y recuerdan algo incómodo: sin verdad ni justicia, no hay cierre posible para las víctimas.

Las familias de las víctimas mortales de la DANA 29-O siguen luchando por obtener respuestas, justicia y reconocimiento. A lo largo de estos meses, el sufrimiento no…

“Perdóname, hijo, por todo este tiemp”. El padre de Enrique Iglesias, Julio Iglesias, rompió en lágrimas durante una celebración privada mientras sostenía en brazos a su cuarto nieto. Confesó que había sido demasiado conservador, lo que provocó que la relación entre padre e hijo se fuera distanciando con los años. Ese día, todas las emociones estallaron cuando Enrique lo miró fijamente a los ojos y, con voz firme, anunció el nombre de su cuarto hijo varón. Las personas presentes estallaron en aplausos y felicitaciones, pero Julio quedó inmóvil, profundamente pensativo. Porque no se trataba solo de un nombre: significaba algo mucho más grande

«Perdóname, hijo, por todo este tiempo». El padre de Enrique Iglesias, Julio Iglesias, rompió en lágrimas durante una celebración privada mientras sostenía en brazos a su cuarto…

NOTICIA DE ÚLTIMA HORA: “Ella es famosa más por sus escándalos que por su verdadero talento; ese asunto de la infidelidad solo ha servido para pulir aún más su nombre”. Mo’Nique atacó directamente a Shakira y afirmó que “la industria musical se vendrá abajo si estrellas como ella siguen actuando con arrogancia”. Mo’Nique tuiteó: “Gracias a Dios, Estados Unidos todavía tiene momentos de paz”. Alejandro Sanz respondió de inmediato en defensa de Shakira: “No des sermones cuando solo eres una bocaza sin fundamento”. Menos de cinco minutos después, Sanz publicó una declaración breve pero contundente que dejó a Mo’Nique sin palabras y encendió la polémica más explosiva del momento.

NOTICIA DE ÚLTIMA HORA: “Ella es famosa más por sus escándalos que por su verdadero talento; ese asunto de la infidelidad solo ha servido para pulir aún…

ALBA CARRILLO DISPARA SIN PIEDAD CONTRA MELODY TRAS EUROVISIÓN: LA FRASE QUE HA ENCENDIDO EL DEBATE Lo que parecía una simple opinión televisiva terminó convirtiéndose en una auténtica bomba mediática. Alba Carrillo no se mordió la lengua al analizar la actitud de Melody tras el sonado batacazo en Eurovisión y lanzó una frase que ha desatado una ola de reacciones: para ella, la cantante “ya está fuera” del circuito que importa. Sus palabras han dividido al público y han puesto el foco en una pregunta incómoda: ¿ha sabido Melody gestionar su fracaso o ha terminado enfrentándose a la cadena que la impulsó? Mientras unos aplauden la sinceridad de Alba, otros la acusan de ir demasiado lejos. Lo cierto es que, desde ese comentario, nada parece igual para Melody… y la polémica no ha hecho más que empezar.

Alba Carrillo se ha mostrado durísima con Melody en ‘D Corazón’ por su actitud con TVE tras su batacazo en el Festival de Eurovisión Alba Carrillo critica…

La expulsión más inesperada de la noche en ‘Aria’ no fue un accidente ni una simple decisión artística. Fue un terremoto interno que dejó en shock al plató de TVE y al propio Juanjo, que minutos antes había sentenciado: “Nunca he escuchado una voz así”. Entonces, ¿por qué cayó el gran favorito? Según fuentes del entorno del programa, la decisión habría estado marcada por un factor clave que no se explicó en pantalla y que cambió el rumbo de la gala en los últimos instantes. Una mezcla de estrategia, tensiones internas y miedo a lo que podía venir después. La audiencia estalló en redes, hablando de injusticia, maniobra calculada y un mensaje claro del programa: aquí no gana solo la voz. Lo ocurrido abre una pregunta incómoda… ¿quién decide realmente hasta dónde puede llegar un talento?

Hasta una de las profesoras corrió a abrazar al concursante tras una actuación impecable que, sin embargo, le llevó a despedirse del programa La decisión final del…

NOTICIA DE ÚLTIMA HORA: Shakira acaba de alcanzar un acuerdo multimillonario valorado en 13,5 millones de dólares con el estudio Paramount Pictures para una serie documental de siete episodios que narra su trayectoria desde orígenes humildes, su perseverancia incansable y su ascenso hasta convertirse en una de las máximas figuras de la música latina. No se trata simplemente de un documental. Es una historia que Shakira nunca había revelado antes, que expone los lados más oscuros de la industria musical y la enorme presión que ha tenido que soportar a diario, además de confesiones inéditas sobre un matrimonio marcado por la traición. Lo que realmente ha dejado atónitos a millones de fans en todo el mundo —y que, según se dice, dejó sin palabras al CEO David Ellison— es la revelación de Shakira sobre cómo se utilizará este dinero. Un movimiento audaz, pero lleno de profundidad, propósito y significado.

NOTICIA DE ÚLTIMA HORA: Shakira acaba de alcanzar un acuerdo multimillonario valorado en 13,5 millones de dólares con el estudio Paramount Pictures para una serie documental de…